Monday, December 31, 2012

"The Annunciation" by Jay DeFeo

Yesterday I discovered an artist I did not know. Jay DeFeo. SF MOMA is hosting a remarkable retrospective. Highly recommended.

My favorite painting was "The Annunciation" -- shown here is miserable resolution. Painted in 1957, it takes over an entire wall. I was spellbound. The notes from the exhibit said each brush stroke was a feather, the large wings come from a solar plexus, and she painted it in response to other angels she say on a trip to Florence. For me, the painting is about the moment when a woman discovers that she has been visited by the holy spirit, or whatever you will call the energy and life force that creates the impulse for a new life inside her body. I don't see only the angle, I see the explosion of life and the eruption of the sacred in flesh. It's be a long time since I responded so powerfully to a painting. On my daughter's birthday, I was allowed a glimpse again of that divinity a woman can embody.


No comments:

Post a Comment